Skip to content

Alcohol Support Services

Realising and admitting you may have a problem with alcohol is your first step in getting help.

You deserve support even if you are not heavily addicted to alcohol. Remember there are resources are available to support you. You can learn more about your condition on our alcohol addiction page and get facts about alcohol abuse here

You may need help with alcohol if:

  • You feel a strong or uncontrollable urge to drink
  • You are sacrificing other areas of your life, such as work and family, so you can drink
  • You’ve been warned by other people about your drinking
  • You feel your drinking is causing problems in your life

Government and NHS support

A range of resources and services are made available from the government for those struggling with drug and alcohol misuse and addiction. These are usually free of charge.

You can find local addiction services using this page of the NHS website. This specifically searches for those that cater to alcohol misuse and addiction.

You can enquire about the NHS ‘talking therapy’ service via this page of the NHS website. This is a free therapy service that does not necessarily require a referral from your GP.

Support for parents and families

Al-Anon facilitates family groups to support people who struggle with drink and people who are affected by another’s drinking. Their website can be found here.

Families Anonymous is a worldwide fellowship of family members and friends who have been affected by the misuse of drugs, alcohol and behavioural problems. They have a presence in the UK. You can find out more at their website here.

Alcohol detoxification support

Withdrawal from alcohol can, in extreme cases, be fatal. Some alcoholics will require a short stay in a hospital or medically supported location so they can safely undergo withdrawal from alcohol. The NHS may provide this depending on their assessment of your need and their ability to offer support.

Please also feel free to call Help Me Stop on 0208 191 8920 or use our contact form to get in touch. We can signpost you to services that can help you with alcohol detoxification.

The Family Rights Group is a charity that provides advice to parents and family members whose children require or are involved in the use of social services. Their website can be found here.

Other support

The national alcohol helpline is called Drinkline. You can call from 9AM to 8PM in the week, and from 11AM to 4PM at the weekend at 0300 123 1110. This is a service for anyone struggling with alcohol, or anyone concerned about someone else’s alcohol consumption.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a long-standing self-help group available in the UK. Their website can be found here. It makes use of the 12-step programme, part of which is used in our own Dayhab and Digital Dayhab programmes.

FRANK is the national information service on drugs and alcohol. Their website can be found here and contains a wide range of educational resources.

If you are concerned about your immediate use of alcohol, or the use of a friend or loved one, Help Me Stop’s intensive Digital Dayhab programme is designed to be completed from home at a significantly lower cost than traditional residential rehabilitation. Learn more about it here.

If you’d like to talk to us directly, call on tel: +44 (0) 208 191 9191 or email us via our contact form.